About the job
The World Bank Group (www.worldbankgroup.org) (the Bank) is one of the world’s largest sources of development assistance and knowledge for developing countries. It consists of five institutions that specialize in different aspects of development: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
The Independent Evaluation Group (http://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/) (IEG) is charged with the mission of improving development results through excellence in evaluation by helping the Bank’s operations learn, course correct when necessary and achieve the goals of the institution.
The Director General, Evaluation (DGE) leads the IEG and reports directly to the Board of Executive Directors. The role oversees approximately 115 staff through a senior team of three: Director, Human Development and Economic Management Department; Director, Finance, Private Sector, Infrastructure, and Sustainable Development Department; and Director, Strategy and Operations. The objective of this structure is to continuously improve evaluation methods, keep abreast of innovations in the field, and support high-quality work.
Candidate Profile/Selection Criteria
Operating independently, but with an approach that is constructive, adds value, and is balanced in confidence and humility, the ideal candidate will have:
- Strategic vision about how evaluation can help the institution and the development community improve through continuous, real-time learning and a commitment to evaluation capacity development
- A results-focused, persuasive, enthusiastic, motivating leadership style that is able to attract, retain and develop quality staff in the IEG and a track record of managing people, relationships, change, systems thinking, and resource vigilance
- The proven ability to interact with and engage management, operations leadership, partners of all kinds, and the Board, in a useful, thought-provoking, and objective way while also being able to take tough stances and maintain balance
- Deep knowledge of evaluation methods as applied to development and experience in development policy
- A reputation and demonstrable experience of being highly analytical, yet practical, and with articulable knowledge of the current and potential future methods, technologies and frameworks of conducting useful, applicable evaluation
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated ability to work across organizational boundaries, articulate results and influence change, internally and externally
- Demonstrated success in achieving impact using collaborative, solution-focused and outcome-oriented approaches
- Strong collaboration skills; broad experience in diverse, global environments in which emotional intelligence and cultural understanding are required to operate effectively
- Familiarity with IFIs and MDBs would be advantageous; experience as an international development practitioner with meaningful field and operations exposure that would give one the understanding of how the business of development functions.
- Academic and professional credentials and experience to command respect and trust in a position of this stature
Terms of Appointment
The position is at grade GJ. Location is Washington, DC. This role is for a 6-year, non-renewable term that does not allow for re-entry into any part Of the World Bank Group.
Washington, DC, USA
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of race, gender, nationality, culture, and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at WBG-DG-IEG@sri-executive.com.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by The World Bank to undertake this assignment.