Senior Communications Officer
IEG seeks a senior communications professional to lead the development and implementation of a fully integrated multi-channel communications strategy. He or she will be responsible for a comprehensive global outreach and engagement effort that includes stakeholder engagement across multiple channels, including IEG’s external and WB intranet websites, a publications team, outreach events, and all social media content and campaigns. These efforts are aimed at strengthening IEG’s brand and maximizing the learning from and impact of IEG's evaluations.
Managing a team of 6 staff and more than 10 professional consultants, the Senior Communications Officer is responsible for setting the strategic direction and overseeing the execution of the team's work.
She/he will advise the IEG Vice President and senior management team on positioning and messaging. As Communications Team Lead for IEG, he or she will also work with IEG evaluation teams and staff across the organization to plan and execute outreach for IEG’s flagship reports.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced communications expert with a strong background in creating and shaping a communications strategy and a demonstrated track record in leading a diverse team to deliver on a communications agenda. A strong understanding of branding issues and experience leading a branding strategy are needed. Experience in handling media relations is also required.
The Senior Communications Officer:
- Leads a team of communications professionals, setting results expectations; ensuring team success through feedback, support, and coaching; and actively promoting professional development.
- Designs, develops and executes the communication strategy for IEG and ensures that the strategy is aligned with institutional priorities, using a variety of media as appropriate and consistent with the evolving communications environment, identifying and seizing new opportunities for IEG collaboration.
- Manages IEG communications, media relations, including strategic partnerships in coordination with the World Bank's External and Corporate Relations Vice Presidency (ECR). Operates across IEG, working directly with staff at all levels, ensuring consistency and optimizing opportunities for effective communications throughout the evaluation process.
- Works closely with IEG’s Vice President to position her and support engagement with external stakeholders, including other international organizations, media, multilaterals and CSOs.
- Creates and systematically maintains networks of communications contacts with media and IEG stakeholders. Interacts with senior management, counterparts across Bank's main business units, financial and political journalists, bureau chiefs, editorial writers and columnists, high level government officials, parliamentarians.
- Serves as principal liaison for certain national groups, media organizations, magazines, etc.
- Drafts and edits content for the IEG internal and external website, newsletters, and other communications products, including key publications and is responsible for quality control and consistency of messaging in IEG's publications, online and media presence. Reviews all press releases, blog posts, publications, web/newsletters, features and announcements directly or as delegated to other team members
- Oversees publications development
Master’s degree (Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Economics or other related field) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience or a bachelor’s with at least 13 years of work experience
Communications Strategy: Able to lead in strategy and program development for diverse and highly complex communication interventions of significance to IEG’s relations with external and internal audiences. Helps anticipate critical communications/public relations issues; contributes to formulation of IEG's public position. Thorough knowledge of, and practical experience in full range of communications approaches, tools and methodologies essential to planning, executing and monitoring communications strategies including the latest technologies, Web trends and developments, prior editorial experience.
Team Leadership: Experience leading and directing others charged with developing and monitoring high visibility communications plans and activities. Responsible for assigning work, monitoring work quality, reviewing output and ensuring that staff successfully deliver the work.
Relationship Management: Demonstrated strength in initiating effective professional relationships with key internal and/or external constituencies (e.g., IEG Management, WBG Management, the media, civil society, academia, businesses, government agencies, etc.). Identifies opportunities for and forges strategic partnerships both inside and outside the WBG to improve dialogue and outreach and to strengthen IEG’s overall effectiveness and image. Serves as principal liaison for certain national groups, media organizations, magazines, etc. Ability to engage diverse stakeholders to establish credibility as trusted communications advisor.
Adaptability: Proven ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze diverse information from varied sources and an ability to learn, adapt, and be innovative as new communications challenges arise, including taking the lead on highly visible and sensitive assignments
Multimedia Expertise: Substantial and diverse experience in creating a communications strategy and in running an integrated multimedia communications operation and in achieving results on the ground. Demonstrated excellence in using technology to support global communications.
Development Understanding: Sound knowledge of disciplines relevant to development work (e.g., economics, banking, finance. etc.).
Strong Writer and Presenter: Ability to develop and tailor complex content/information into clear messages in an accessible way to different audiences. Able to represent IEG on complex and sensitive issues; address major audiences (e.g., WBG CODE, WBG Senior Management, government officials, civil society meetings, private sector groups, donors, etc.) on IEG positions that are complex and/or sensitive. Routinely gives presentations and/or represents IEG at external and internal events. Serves as external spokesperson for IEG on specific issues and projects. Chairs task forces/working groups on various topics.
Resource management: Demonstrated strength in managing human and financial resources for team and specific tasks/projects. Plans and supervises procurement tasks and/or issues.
WBG Core Competencies
Deliver Results: Achieves results and identifies mission-driven solutions for the client; Develops and implements solutions that show understanding of how clients and/or own work achieves results that are financially, environmentally and socially sustainable. Shares new insights based on in-depth understanding of the client and recommends solutions for current and future needs of clients. Holds self and team accountable for risk management and outcomes.
Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Initiates collaboration across boundaries and broadly across WBG and brings differing ideas into the forefront. Collaborates across organizational boundaries, internally and externally with a sense of mutuality and respect. Consistently engages others in open dialogue, brings out any conflicting viewpoints and incorporates viewpoints into solutions, giving credit where credit is due. Leverages expertise of all team members to ensure successful outcomes. Makes choices and sets priorities with a WBG corporate perspective in mind
Lead and Innovate: Develops innovative solutions with others. Encourages and works with others to discover, incubate and implement novel solutions. Identifies opportunities in changing circumstances and energizes others to continuously improve. Helps others to understand problems, client needs and the underlying context.
Create, Apply and Share Knowledge: Creates, applies and shares knowledge from across and outside WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions. Ensures systematic sharing of good practice and learning from lessons from across WBG, clients, and partners. Is known across WBG in their subject area and is sought out by WBG colleagues to advise, peer review, or contribute to knowledge products of others. Builds networks across the WBG and as part of external professional groups/networks.
Making Smart Decisions: Recommends and takes decisive action. Applies critical thinking and seeks inputs and experience from others to recommend a course of action consistent with the WBG’s strategy. Evaluates risk and anticipates the short and long-term implications of decisions. Commits to a decision and acts once a decision has been reached.
The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
You can also browse current openings at the World Bank via the World Bank jobs page.
Check out IEG's Resources for Evaluators.
View IEG's FY2019 Work Program and Budget.
Meet IEG's Experts